Monday 27 November 2017

Pulp Idol Firsts 2018

To celebrate the launch of Pulp Idol Firsts 2018, WoW talked to this year's runner ups, winner and the judges on their experiences of the competition. Come along to Toxteth Library from 7th December from 6pm to see them perform their work.

Pulp Idol is a wonderful opportunity for new writers to gain exposure to the publishing industry and to share their work. Thanks so much WoW! Looking forward to the book launch!
- Laura Bui, Winner

I applied to Pulp Idol as a last-minute decision thinking if I don’t do it I would regret it, also I knew that there would be an agent from London present and I thought when would there be an opportunity like this to show my work.
- Duncan Lyon, Runner Up

I wanted to say a huge thank you to you and the team. You made me feel welcome and supported. The evening event was slightly scary but a lot of fun. I was delighted to be a part of it, and got so many lovely comments on my work. Already, Wowfest is helping to launch my writing career. Judge Kevin Duffy asked to see the whole manuscript, and in a slightly surreal twist, this evening I was contacted by J. K Rowling’s agent, asking to meet with me! Watch this space. - Ariel Kahn, Runner Up


Judging the Pulp Idol competition is a highlight of my year – it takes enormous bravery to get up on stage and read your work aloud, and I’m always so impressed by the high quality of the entrants. I’m looking forward to hearing the stories from the 2018 finalists! - Laura Williams, PFD Agency and Judge

Pulp Idol gives new and unpublished writers the opportunity to have their writing seen and read by industry professionals. If they are fortunate to be short listed they are then  invited to read out their work to publishers, agents and the public. The standard of writing and the passion in which it is delivered is a reminder of what great new talent there is out there from all sections of society. I was so impressed by one writer, Ariel Kahn, that we will be publishing his debut, Raising Sparks in July 2018. As a publisher we are always looking to find great new talent and Pulp Idol is a fantastic event that shines a light on new writing and new writers. - Kevin Duffy, Bluemoose Books and Judge 

No comments:

Post a Comment