Wednesday 14 June 2017

Internship at WoW by Lucy Fegan



I’ve been interning with Writing on the Wall for four months now and have been welcomed into an organisation that is creative, passionate and encourages the surrounding community to think differently about their world.



During these past four months I have been completing my university course and I can hardly believe that my internship is coming to an end (and that I’ll be graduating in just a few short weeks!).

As a Journalism student, I was interested in meeting people and hearing their stories. This is what drew me to Writing on the Wall. I knew they held a festival every May but later learnt now dynamic it was and how much they help people to achieve more than they could ever imagine.

Writing on the Wall has allowed me to expand on my skills by trusting me to create them a weekly podcast throughout the festival. I pitched the idea which would involve me attending events each week and interviewing the speakers, audience and also members of the Writing on the Wall team.

I really enjoyed this process and it has been a learning curve for me. It’s been extremely valuable and I’m grateful to them for giving me this opportunity!

In addition, I’ve become more familiar with what goes into preparing a festival. From social media, to organising each night. I’ve had the chance to write for the website and review the events. My toolbox full of skills is much fuller than it was when I started an I can move on confident in my abilities.

A highlight of my time here was helping Emma, the Project Manager on the ‘Super Heroes: Words Are Our Power’ project. I joined her at Anfield Primary School where we helped three classes edit their super hero stories.

As I hadn’t stepped into a primary school since my last day of Year 6, it was pretty daunting. But, by the third class I felt confident in my abilities to help them (and not cower in the corner of the room slightly scared to talk to the children.) Watching Emma control the classroom was amazing and although I don't think I could ever do that myself, it provided me a new found respect for primary school teachers.

As I move onto graduation, I leave Writing on the Wall with an experience that prepares me for the ‘real world’, and the confidence I need to succeed.

I’ve really enjoyed my time working here and am going to miss it a lot. I’d love to get the chance to work with the organisation again as they’ve welcomed me in so warmly every week. I can’t thank Mike, Madeline, Emma, Alice and Ciarán enough for giving me this amazing opportunity to learn from people who have so much talent and expertise in what they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment