Friday 13 May 2016

An Interview with Christopher Lutterodt-Quarcoo: FUTURE|JOURNEYS



In the run up to Future|Journeys on 21st May, we thought we’d do some quick takes with the various artists and hackers who will be joining the event. First up is Christopher Lutterodt-Quarcoo, a London based artist who will be leading the ‘The Second Coming‘ workshop, an exploration of memory, slavery, genetics and how our past can interact with our futures…
AfroFutures_UK: So let’s start with an introduction to yourself and your work.
Christopher Lutterodt-Quarcoo: In short, I’m a ‘Cult Storyteller’ born in London, but I spent my early years growing up and traveling throughout Africa…
I find disregarded or lost perspectives and make them relevant, through time travelling. As a result I’m a Designer / Artist / Director & Writer and much more to come.
AF: How did you get started with your art? 
CL-Q: I wouldn’t  quite call what I do ‘art’ probably closer to ‘design’ but my work is somewhere in between those fields.
My interests are pretty broad in terms of topic but the themes are quite common; intensely personal (spiritual & emotional) experiences typically using a single psyche to bring awareness to a larger sample of people.
To be honest I’ve always been an academic but it’s only been within the past 5 years I’ve been able to really fuse the creative side of things with my academic interests. 
AF: Who are your inspirations?
CL-Q: I always struggle with questions like this, because the people who inspire me change from project to project. I’m more inspired by literature…quotables from books or speeches as a starting point then push beyond the poetics of it.

AF: Tell us all about your workshop and what we should expect?
CL-Q: I don’t want to give too much away, but expect to be challenged morally, and to understand views or agendas that you may not necessarily agree with and advocate for them.
AF: What do you look forward to the most about Future|Journeys?
CL-Q: I’m hoping for controversy; in the form of challenging truths or necessary lies. I’m looking for the beginnings and confliction of the audiences realisations… admittedly for selfish reasons. It keeps my mind as well as others searching!
By Florence Okeye - AfroFutures 
TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW 

No comments:

Post a Comment